Saturday 3 December 2011

"When Will I Be Famous" Pork Chops

There’s something a bit early ‘90’s about this recipe. I was lost in that era. I’m a child of the ‘80’s and didn’t get the music of the time. Except Bros. I got Matt & Luke alright! 
4 boneless pork chops – not butcher-thick ones; supermarket ones
8 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 tbsp curry paste – I like Pataks. Choose your own heat
2 tbsp mango chutney – supermarket own brand will be fine
Coriander and extra to garnish
Lime wedges
Rice & salad to serve 


Bros goes on the CD player, everything except the pork goes in a shallow bowl. Mix. Wonder why Matt Goss thought that odd groaning sound was cool at the time. Wonder too why you didn’t question it then? 


Add the pork and leave in the fridge to marinate for 3-4 hours. Mellow out to one or two of the Bros tracks, Cat Among the Pigeons wasn’t that bad. 


Time to cook. Put some grown up music on and the pork in a baking tray. Cook under the grill for 8-10 mins each side. Slowly heat the marinade in a small pan – to almost but not quite boiling. 


The original recipe suggests brown rice and a salad. Basmati would be better. Once I made this and tried to substitute the rice cooking water with orange juice. It was a disaster. I was about 22 and yes, listening to Bros as I cooked it. A cardamom pod or two in the rice water will quite suffice. I wouldn’t sacrifice the salad though. 


Lime wedge garnishes please because at 22 I thought that was the ultimate in sophistication.


When will I, will I be famous? It was a serious question at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment