Friday 9 December 2011

London Library Bacon & Avocado Sandwiches

I’m taking Lowell to the London Library tomorrow – he’s English public school geeky (sorry, Lowell) so he should like it. The library has a room on the 6th floor where members can eat their sandwiches and help themselves to coffee, so I’m making these sandwiches as a sort of breakfast/lunch fill in. 
4 rashers dry cure bacon
1 ripe avocado
Squeeze of lemon juice
2 ciabatta rolls
2 tbsp decent mayonnaise
2 lettuce leaves
Salt & pepper


 Grill the bacon until a little shy of crisp, I think. Dry cure should mean that it won’t leach water that ends up steaming the bacon. Have said all I’m going to say about avocados in the Guacamole recipe. Mash it and add the lemon juice to prevent it going brown.


Split the rolls and spread with mayonnaise. I have never made my own mayonnaise though I really want to. Will share the results here when I do!


So, yes, spoon the avocado on one half of each roll and top with the bacon and a lettuce leaf. Season to taste. Wrap well to ensure safe carriage. The London Library will probably kick me out if I return their copy of Martin Chuzzlewit with added avocado!


This will prove a treat when we’re tucking into them in St James Square. I want Lowell to think well of me and these are part of my arsenal. I think he’s going to wear his stripy sweatshirt, which he looks adorable in, though, sweetly, he doesn’t think he’s good looking at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment