Monday 12 December 2011

Intriguing Hoisin Aubergines

My last day off, and I’ve been wandering around the covered market in Wood Green. Perfect for picking up some firm, squeaky aubergines and Pak Choi.  I also need a jar of Hoisin sauce from the Chinese grocer’s.
2 medium Aubergines (eggplants), cut in chunky pieces
3 tbsp oil (optimistic – aubergines usually just slurp it up)
2 chillies, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 spring onions chopped
2 tsp grated ginger
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
3 tbsp chicken stock
Pinch sugar
Jasmine rice & Pak Choi to serve


I think Lowell would like this. There’s something about him that suggests he’d cope as a vegetarian.  Hoisin is thick and barbeque sauce-like; you don’t need that much of it so buy a small jar if you can. Lee Kum Kee is an established brand and widely available (and actually the only one I know). If you’re in the Chinese grocer’s, pick up some soy sauce for the Pak Choi as well. Kikkoman is actually Japanese, but it comes in a sexy bottle! (Sexy wins over authentic for me, every time).


I’m listening to The Yellow River Concerto though a Christmas CD would do. Have tried making this to a soundtrack of Beijing  Opera, but it just sounds too strange. Authenticity is good but not always great.


Wok out, oil in. Fry the aubergine on a fairly high heat, in batches, and drain on kitchen paper. You’re looking for cooked, but still firm. By the way I don't salt my aubergines to draw out bitterness as I've never tasted a bitter aubergine. And anyway life's too short.


Put the rice on – if you have one, love your rice cooker. If you don’t- ask for one for Christmas – you’ve no idea how much you’ll use it. When I was a student I watched my crush, Patrick cook rice for a good hour and then strain, to watch it all go straight through the sieve! They’re not expensive and turn out perfect rice every time. They keep it warm too. Wash the rice half-heartedly. You want a clumpy mass when it’s cooked.


If you’ve any oil left (which knowing aubergines, I doubt! Otherwise add another tbsp.), add the garlic, ginger, chillies and spring onions.


Stir in the stock, Hoisin and sugar. It will thicken in a few minute. When it does, add the aubergines back in. The stock doesn’t need to be great so feel free to do a pro rata thing with a cube. The flavour is going to come from the Hoisin.


Steam the Pak Choi or stir fry it, adding the soy sauce at the last minute.


Eat with chopsticks if you feel like showing off. This isn’t haute cuisine, so munching on the sofa in front of the TV is fine. All your virtue points come from the fresh vegetables so don’t feel you need to be too virtuous in your viewing. Happy dining, happy life!

No comments:

Post a Comment