Friday 30 December 2011

Malawi Rock Shandy


As not everyone will be drinking alcohol on New Year’s Eve, I’m sharing a soft drink recipe. I was lucky enough to be in Malawi this Summer and we were having lunch at Chez Maky, which is just outside Blantyre town centre. One of our party ordered a Rock Shandy, and it brought memories flooding back. I haven’t had one since I was a boy. They are delicious and refreshing. There are two versions but this is the Malawi recipe.

Fill a glass with ice and pour in half ginger ale and half lemonade. Shake in a good dash of Angostura Bitters.

And that’s it – it has an intriguing flavour. It’s supposed to have originated in Zimbabwe but everyone knows it a Malawi Rock Shandy – I suppose by the same measure, French Toast probably isn’t French, nor Irish Coffee, Irish and so on.

In South Africa a Rock Shandy replaces the ginger ale with soda water so I’d be tempted to add another dash of bitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment