Tuesday 22 October 2013

The Bullshot

I’ve long been intrigued by the Bullshot - the boy loves them. It’s perfect for taking on long winter walks in a flask. This version comes from a North Yorkshire ‘shoot’ and is interesting as it is very specific about the ingredients and uses sherry rather than vodka. It makes a lot! I would scale it right down but this recipe is epic so I’m giving it as it stands.

2 x 400g cans Heinz oxtail soup
5x 415g cans Baxter’s Beef consommé
1 x 200ml Schweppes tomato juice  or V8
2tbsp Geo Walker Mushroom ketchup
A few drops Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
A few drops tabasco
A pinch each cayenne pepper and Paprika

Mix all of the above and leave it overnight. Before your walk, bring it up to a simmer. Stir in a heaped tbsp. Knorr beef bouillon paste and a twisted forkful of Marmite. This is a bit of a parade of brand names but they got to be where they are for a reason. Trust me, I’m a market researcher. The only one I’m not convinced about is the Schweppes tomato juice. I’m assuming the pinch of cayenne is a huge pinch, given it’s going into nearly 3 litres of broth. Similarly the ‘few drops’ of condiment.

The author then suggests Crofts Original Sherry to taste, but gives no idea how much. I think quite a lot given the amount of broth this is going into. Frankly this can’t be less than half a bottle – and then some. Interestingly this doesn’t use vodka. Into flasks it goes.

I think I prefer the ever dependable Sarah Raven’s recipe. She served it at her wedding which took place one January. I like that thoughtfulness. It comes in more manageable portions. This is the version the boy and I take for our Boxing Day walk.

330ml tinned beef consommé
1tbsp lemon juice
Celery salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco to taste
175ml vodka

Heat the consommé and add all the seasoning. I tend to use Campbells.  I’m happy to see the lemon juice here. Lots of Tabasco I think. Finally add the vodka – one with higher alcohol content will work best as there will be a bit of evaporation – Absolut or Stolichnaya would be good.

Finally a version I’m really not sure about, that I came across in The Guardian. It’s a cold version which it describes as “The Marlon Brando” of cocktails. The recipe serves one which doesn’t seem right so I have doubled it up. If I have to try this the boy has to too.

180ml beef consommé
90ml vodka
A good dash Worcestershire sauce
A good dash Tabasco
A squeeze of lemon
Black pepper

The Consommé needs to be pretty much zero fat. Baxters qualifies.  Put in a shaker with ice. Give it a shake and then strain. Pour over more cracked ice. This is meant to have more alcohol than a bloody mary. I think a really decent squeeze of lemon is the only way this would work for me.

The Bloody Bull combines pretty much equal amounts of consommé, vodka and tomato juice, and again can be served hot or cold. Naturally it needs all the extras -Worcestershire, Tabasco, lemon juice etc. If having it cold, tomato juice doesn’t like being shaken, so stir it. I’ve seen some exciting recipes that include ‘creole spice mix’ or “Essence” as it Is sometimes known, and a pickled okra garnish. I’m not attempting to find pickled okra (though I would love to)

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

This recipe suggests lime juice as well as lemon juice It’s 175ml tomato juice, 120ml beef bouillon, 100ml vodka, Stir in ½ tsp of Essence 2tsp lime juice, 1tsp lemon juice, 1 ½  tsp Worcestershire sauce, a shake of hot sauce, a shake of celery salt, a twist of black pepper . This version actually sounds appealing, The “Essence” will keep in a screw top jar.


No comments:

Post a Comment