Sunday 27 October 2013

Smoky Sausage & Veg Stew

The boy isn’t keen on the sound of this when I told it was veg stew. We have some cavalo nero in the veg box and it’s too good to waste. He warmed to it when I changed my mind and suggested a spicy sausage and vegetable stew.

The ingredient list is based on what we have in the fridge and the cupboard – apart from the sausages which I had to go out and buy especially. Didn’t mind the shopping trip as I wanted to get some really good bread to have with it.

70g smoked bacon lardons
6 thick decently flavoured sausages
Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper
1tsp ground cumin
¾  tsp chilli powder
3 good handfuls chopped Cavolo nero (though would sub for kale, cabbage, greens)
½ Green pepper
1 bottle passata (usually 750g or so)
4 or 5 leftover roast potatoes (We had these but tinned boiled potatoes would work)
½ tsp smoked paprika
2tbsp sour cream to serve

Any additional veg you have would I’m sure, be welcome. So would chorizo.

The sausages I’ve gone for are a Harissa infused pork variety. So start with a big frying pan and fry off the bacon and sausages with a splash of oil. Cook on a high heat to brown it rather than cook it through, as it will cook further in the stew. The reason I cook, rather than give the boy the recipes is that he will think a high heat means “the hottest you can get it” and will fill the house with black smoke.

Once brown (or nearly brown, or brown in places), set aside. Cut each sausage into 4 pieces. The cat wants a piece of sausage. The harissa isn't going to be good news so he's having a couple of bacon lardons.

Add the onion and green pepper to the same pan so it picks up the meaty flavours. Once soft, tip into a deeper pan. Stir in the cumin, chilli powder and smoked paprika. A good grind of fresh pepper would be good too.  I wish I’d added some garlic but too late now.

The boy has chopped the greens for me. I’ve asked him to treat it has two vegetables and give me two piles – one of chopped stalk and one of roughly chopped leaves. The stalks go in for a minute . Then add the passata. As always use a decent one. I always add another 3 inches of water to the empty jar and swirl it go get all. Then add the chopped leaves and give it a good stir. It shouldn’t be too thick if you’ve added the water to the empty passata bottle.

Add the roast potatoes – they will break up of their own accord. I think potatoes work best here but if you have cooked pumpkin or squash, use that instead. If not, tinned potatoes would be okay. The sausages and bacon goes back in now. Pour in all the juices they have leached.  Despite the spices, give an indiscriminate twist of salt.

Warm it all through. Check the thickness and add little more water or bubble for another minute or so. Serve with a tablespoon of sour cream


I’ve warmed the bread in the oven so the butter will melt on it. I thought that even if the boy only had the stew as an excuse to get the bread and butter it would have been worth it. Turns out I needn’t have worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment