Wednesday 23 October 2013

Pumpkin & Sweetcorn Chowder

Pumpkin soup is the boy’s favourite. I’m not working today and he is working from home so I want to make him a nice lunch. I’m not sure where in the US this recipe is from but I like to think it’s from the cold north east. I know it’s not long since I last made a chowder, but these rainy, windy days are just right for it. Sweetcorn is the perfect partner to the pumpkin.

500g pumpkin, peeled and deseeded
1 large can sweetcorn
4 rashers streaky bacon
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 litre chicken stock
8 small potatoes, cubed
1tsp salt
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp white pepper
250ml single cream
250g cheddar cheese

The worst part of this recipe is peeling the pumpkin and cutting it into chunks, with the fibre and seeds removed. Rub the pieces with oil and bake in a hot oven (190g) for 35 minutes. Put Mozart’s Jupiter Symphony on the kitchen CD player.

The boy is busy working in the study but the cat has joined me in the kitchen. He’s not used to these non-meat-based recipes that I’m making for the boy, though he appreciated the bacon rind. I'm soft so I have fried them for a minute for him. The wind and rain are keeping him inside. He seems to like the Mozart though.

Get a big pan out. Chop the bacon and fry it until crispy. The cat looks interested but he’s had all he’s getting. Scoop it out of the pan and add the onion and pepper, and cook until soft. Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme and stock. The boy has been sent to pick some thyme from the pots on the patio. The stock is made with Knorr stock pots.

Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. I’ve gone for Yukon Gold potatoes which are floury but not too much so. They will break down nicely but not disappear.  Add the pumpkin and corn. Give it another 10 minutes.

Put through the medium blade of a Mouli. Put it back in the pan and add the cream. Check the seasoning. I almost always find it wants more pepper. Put the bacon back in and pour into bowls and sprinkle over the cheese.

Serve it straight away while it is still thick and unctuous (What a great Dickensian word unctuous is!)  Have it with warm soda bread and salted butter. Ideally warm enough so the butter melts. I can’t think of a better way to show the boy I love him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment