Tuesday 18 June 2013

Turkish Carrots & Rice

This is yet another side dish that I won’t be telling the boy about in advance, though he will like it once it’s on his plate. It’s from Elizabeth David’s Summer Cooking.

500g young carrots
2 tbsp rice
“some” chopped parsley
“some” chopped mint
“some” oil
A squeeze of lemon juice

Much as I adore Elizabeth David, she can be a bit vague. But that’s what I like – she allows you to mess around with these things. First of all I’m doubling the amount of rice. 2 tablespoons isn’t going to feed two hungry guys.

The boy is watching the whole of the West Wing from scratch; I’m cooking. This is to go with grilled lamb rump. So – the carrots – they must be young and short. I think the tiny Chantenay were what ED had in mind. Trim them and cut them in half lengthways. You should end up with pieces the size of your little finger.

Put a chopping board on a tray and pop it on the boy’s lap – he’s chopping the herbs while he’s watching the DVD. How much? I think a small handful of parsley and half as much of mint.

Cover the bottom of a pan with oil and, according to ED, add the carrots and allow them to get impregnated with oil. Not sure this will happen, but hey. Add the rice. As I said, I’m doing double, so 4 tbsp. Stir it all around. Cover with water. ED doesn’t help here but I’d say by a centimetre. Stop the boy chopping – we’re not looking for a puree.

Simmer for 25 minutes or until the carrots and rice are cooked, and most (but not all) of the water has been absorbed. This is enough time for a West Wing crisis to be resolved  Season generously. Stir in the boy’s efforts and allow it to cool.

ED suggests serving cold but I think it’s nice at room temperature. The liquid will be quite thick, which is the point. Add the squeeze of lemon and it’s done.


The lamb rump is searing hot from the griddle so it’s nice to have something cool and creamy to go with the hot oily meat. Predictably the boy likes it, though he keeps mentioning how well the herbs were prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment