Thursday 6 November 2014

Dirty Martini

I owe a debt of gratitude to my beautiful Sister in Law for this cocktail recipe. I don’t have a sweet tooth and prefer flavours bitter and sour.

I love this, the boy decidedly doesn’t. The recipe therefore, serves just one (me)

70ml Gin
1 tbsp dry vermouth
2 tbsp brine from a jar of green olives
2 olives to garnish

I have a number of Art Deco cocktail shakers. Fill one with ice and shake with the gin, vermouth and brine. We’re clearly going James Bond here* Strain and serve in a wide cocktail glass with the olives speared on a cocktail stick.

My brother once served this with Thai style peanuts. Not sure I would, but strongly flavoured snacks would definitely work. A bowl of chilli dressed olives sounds tempting and well matched…..
A Hot and Dirty is the same, with a few shakes of Tabasco added. I can’t imagine I wouldn’t like it. The boy looks on in horror. Make him a Daiquiri and show him you love him. (White rum, lime juice, sugar-syrup and crushed ice). If you really love him, add well blended, sieved, soft fruit pulp, like ripe strawberries or peaches. And I do. So I do.
*A note on shaking a Martini – technically a shaken martini is called a Bradford. It introduces air bubbles which gives it a cloudy appearance, and (in my opinion), an improved mouth feel. Real connoisseurs say it ‘bruises’ the gin, but frankly, if you’re going to add olive brine – and you should – this isn’t a connoisseur’s tipple. Allegedly in Ian Fleming’s day, vodka was made from potatoes and could have an oily taste. As James Bond liked a vodka martini, shaking could chill it faster, dispersing the oily texture. Oddly, in the films his cocktails always appeared crystal clear so the barmen clearly suited themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment