Tuesday 4 November 2014

Bistro Style Steak Baguette

I have to confess to never having heard of National Sandwich Day, though the boy announced it the moment he got out of bed. I guess to the Sandwich Monster it’s the next best thing to Christmas.

So….

1 Baguette
250g fillet steak
5 triangles of Laughing Cow or Dairy Lea cheese
2 carrots
1 courgette
½ a red onion
1 small bunch flat leaf parsley
½ a lemon
Salt and pepper

I know it seems crazy to buy expensive steak and then use really cheap cheese – if the above even is cheese, but it does work. I slightly prefer Laughing Cow but only because I can’t resist a red cow in crazy ear rings laughing. Who could?

I’ve waited until the boy got home to make this. I found an old box set of hits from the 1950s and for some reason this seems appropriate to be playing.

Sear the steak quickly in a red hot skillet – both sides. He’s seasoning it with salt & pepper while it rests. He prods it with a finger until I tell him to stop. It is best quite pink, but the resting is critical so you don’t end up with a wet sandwich.

It’s not essential but I’m putting the baguette in a hot oven for a couple of minutes so it crisps up.

Chop the parsley and mash it into the “cheese” in a bowl.  In another bowl grate the carrot and courgette.

Slice the steak quite thinly

Split the baguette open and cut into two so you have one each. Spread the hilarious cow and parsley mix thickly onto the bottom half of each and top with the vegetables. Add the steak strips and squeeze a little lemon juice over the top. Close it with the top of the bread.


We’re having it with a salad of watercress and radish. Happy National Sandwich Day! Happy boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment