Saturday 20 July 2013

Peach Chutney

The boy has been pestering me for ages to make him some peach chutney to have with his beloved Double Gloucester. I had in mind to make a spicy version with fresh ginger but know he will love this sweeter version so much more. Peaches are 6 for £1 at the moment, so it’s now or never.

1kg ripe peaches
225g cooking apples
225g onions, thinly sliced
225g seedless raisins
30g light brown sugar
50g preserved ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2tsp salt
1tsp cayenne pepper
450ml white wine vinegar

The apples are coming from our tree as they are usually too sour for eating. If you can, get yellow raisins as they will just look nicer against the yellow peach flesh. The boy is chopping the peaches and apples. We have Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto on, as we’re hearing it at a prom concert tomorrow and he’s trying to get to know it. I tell the boy Tchaikovsky must have been in love when he wrote it, and remind him I love him enough not to add all the ginger and chillies that I’d like to, to this recipe. I'm also sworn to keep the cayenne down to 1tsp, though I think it could take a little more.

This is too easy. Put everything in a large pan – preferably a preserving pan, but if not, the biggest that you have. Bring to the boil and then simmer for what will seem like forever. 1 ½ - 2 hours or more. Stir often as it will be ruined if it catches and burns on the bottom.

When it looks nice an thick, draw a wooden spoon across the bottom of the pan. If you can see a dry line across the bottom of the pan for a few seconds, it’s done. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly before pouring into clean jars. I have a really good jam funnel that my brother bought me and ladle the chutney in, but I still seem to drip it all over the counter. The boy tuts as he passes. The joke is on him as he’s really excited about this and is pretty much ready to go to Morrison’s to buy some cheese and try it out. It needs a good month to mature and will last for 6. We’ll be having this on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment