Tuesday 30 July 2013

Gazpacho Verde

It’s hot and humid in London, with sudden thunderstorms that come out of nowhere. I’m always hot and uncomfortable after the commute on the train. I usually get home before the boy so I can make this and get it chilling in the fridge.

Large bunch of coriander – leaves only
1 slice white bread
1 garlic clove
1 small cucumber
5tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2tbsp sherry vinegar
750ml water
Sea salt & black pepper
4 organic free range eggs
2 gem lettuces, sliced
20g flaked almonds

The boy loves Gazpacho and this one is really different as it has no tomatoes or red peppers. First the music. Properly I think it should be something Spanish but I’ve decided it’s Britten’s cello suites for the CD player. First hard boil the eggs and allow them to cool. Peel and chop them as soon as you can pick them up. This always seem to take longer than I imagine. Even when I run them under cold water, they seem to heat up again of their own accord. Anyway…

Put the coriander, bread, garlic and cucumber in the food processor. In terms of ingredients I’m using a couple of small slices of sourdough, a short Lebanese cucumber and the garlic is smoked. Improvise with what you have. I’m also saving the coriander stalks in case we decide on a curry later in the week.

Blend it to a paste and then just leave it for an hour for the flavours to infuse. The boy is home by now, looking hot and damp. He thinks the Britten might be Bach, though he’s caught it at a good moment to think that. He’s on the patio with a beer, talking to his cat.

Stir in the oil and vinegar – it really has to be sherry vinegar. Add the water and mix well until it resembles soup. Season well. Get the boy to give it a taste and then refrigerate for another hour.

By this time the boy won’t be fobbed off by any more olives and I have put the Bach on to show him the difference. Put some gem lettuce and chopped egg into the bottom of your bowls and ladle the soup over. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds. I've lightly toasted them first in a dry skillet.

I’m serving with sliced of toasted ciabatta with a small bowl of olive oil for dipping it into.

No comments:

Post a Comment