Saturday 13 July 2013

Cherries, Tomatoes & Salami

I think I used to like Nigel Slater a lot more than I do now. I wish he’d just come out! Too often  I find his recipes a bit pedestrian but he does come up with a real gem from time to time.

150g cherries
150g cherry tomatoes
A little tarragon vinegar
100g salami slices

Buy lot more than 150g cherries so that they will survive the boy grazing on them every time he passes. It’s not essential but I think that a nice mix of cherry tomatoes would be wonderful. We’re using a mix of regular red ones and oval yellow ones.

Halve the cherries and stone them, and then halve the tomatoes. Honesty time – I’m using more like 200g tomatoes as I love them! Mix the cherries and tomatoes together and sprinkle over a little tarragon vinegar. Let everything get to know each other for no more than half an hour.

Slice the salami however you like. We’re going for 1cm wide ribbons. I’m using Salami Finocchiona, which is an Italian pure pork salami with fennel. The deli counter has cut it nice and thin.

Tuck the salami into the tomato mix. It shouldn’t need seasoning.

Nigel Slater suggests mozzarella would work well with this – agreed; as does some fresh country bread drizzled with good olive oil. The boy is trying to disguise the fact that he’s making mini open faced sandwiches from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment