Thursday 30 October 2014

Onion Soup with Serrano Ham & Sherry

The boy is working at home today. It is damp and dark outside. I know he loves soup so I am making this for our lunch. It’s from a book called Moro East. All the recipes are based on the produce from the allotments in East London, which were cleared to make way from the Olympic village. I love French Onion soup but like this Spanish version equally.

1kg sweet white onions
5tbsp olive oil
120g serrano ham, chopped finely
2tsp fresh thyme leaves
3 scrapes of nutmeg
150ml Olorosso sherry
1l chicken stock

Slice the onions finely – I think the only trick to not crying, is to use a very sharp knife, so I have sharpened mine first. Sam & Sam Clark say that it is important to use the right size pan, so the onions are 3cm thick. Deeper, and they will just stew in their own water, and shallower, they will brown before they are sweet and soft. Makes sense to me.

Heat the oil and get the onions in. S&S start this on a high heat and then reduce to low. Stir often until you have a melty slush (my description, not theirs). This can take an hour, with stirring every few minutes. This is what Radio 4 is for.

Stir in the serrano ham, thyme and nutmeg and cook for another 8 minutes. The boy’s cat gets a tiny shred of ham as he’s patiently kept me company for the onion cooking.

Pour in the olorosso sherry and let the alcohol burn off – 2 minutes. Check that the sherry is a dry one as some blends are often called this, but are actually quite sweet. Warm the stock up. I’m not using home made and I’m not washing up another pan so the carton is just getting a minute in the microwave.  Pour it into the onion pan and bring it to a simmer. I’m getting the boy to check for seasoning, which will depend on the stock really. We both think onion soup is enhanced by plenty of black pepper.


Serve with toasted rustic bread that has been rubbed with a clove of garlic and drizzled with olive oil.  

No comments:

Post a Comment