Friday 31 October 2014

Black Eyed Pea & Tomato Salad

Even though it’s the end of October, it is still very warm which has been good for the tomatoes. Are own are all used up, but the farm shops still have really good ones. It’s a mission of mine to get the boy to have some fresh veg every day. This is technically just a salad, but with some crusty bread it is a good light lunch.

250g dried black eyed peas (beans)
2 shallots
2 ripe red tomatoes, chopped
330g yellow cherry or baby plum tomatoes, halved
1 stalk celery, sliced
2tbsp fresh basil, chopped
2tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 bunch watercress

Dressing
80ml olive oil
2tbsp white wine vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp ground black pepper
2tsp lemon juice

I put the beans in a large bowl and covered them with water last night, before we went to bed. I like the idea of this dish starting to make itself while we are asleep. The boy asked why I didn’t just use a tin, until I show him how much cheaper it is to buy dried – also I can cook them to the tenderness that I want.

So, drain the water off and cover with fresh water in a pan. Bring to a rolling boil for about 10 minutes and skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Simmer for around 25 minutes or until the beans are tender. Drain and let them cool. I like to rinse them in cold water, but that’s me.

In a large serving bowl, combine the beans with the chopped vegetables and herbs.

Combine the dressing ingredients and pour over. The boy and I like our dressing quite sharp so I might add more vinegar than this, especially as the chalkiness of the beans will just suck it up.

Season well and gently toss it all together. Leave it for 10 minutes for the dressing to do its magic and then settle down.  Give it another gentle stir and serve. It won't be long before the boy starts telling me it's too cold for salads. I shall not be deterred.

No comments:

Post a Comment