Thursday 10 April 2014

Chicken with Grapes

I think the boy will like this as it’s got a sweet kick. It’s Italian. I’ve put a Baroque Italian CD on to get the mood right.

50g butter
Olive oil
4 chicken quarters
2 sprigs rosemary
4 whole cloves garlic
150ml vin santo or marsala – sweet wine at a pinch
500g seedless white grapes
Salt & pepper

I’m getting the boy to joint the chicken with a heavy knife, as I’ve never been any good at this. You want to separate the leg from the breast.

In a really large pan or flame proof casserole, melt the butter with some olive oil. The oil will stop the butter burning. Add the chicken and rosemary.

Brown the chicken, turning once or twice. Season.

Pour in the wine and add the garlic and cook, covered for 15 mins. Remove the breasts. (check they are cooked through with a skewer).

Give the legs another 15 minutes, but take the lid off so the sauce has chance to thicken.

In a skillet, gently soften the grapes in a little more olive oil, turning them often.

When the legs are done, put the breasts back in and add the grapes and heat everything through together. Check the seasoning. I assume it wil need plenty to cut through the sweetness of the wine and grapes.


Serve with rice or baby new potatoes, and perhaps some baby carrots. I’m in a minority as I’m not usually a big fan of chicken but I like it if it’s interesting. The boy loves it as it’s sweet. As is he.

No comments:

Post a Comment