Saturday 2 November 2013

Poached Eggs with Avocado & Chorizo

I think cooking is the best way to show someone that you love them. I’m making this because I do love the boy and never tire of saying it. It’s for his lunch and besides, I’m determined to master poached eggs.

4 soft cooking chorizo
2tbsp coriander leaves
3 small ripe Hass avocado
Juice of 2 small limes
4 organic free range eggs
2 small seeded baguettes

Skin the sausages and chop them or attempt to. Mine are sort of squashing so it’s a half chop, half crumble affair. Fry them off in a dry pan. They will leach off loads of lovely red oil. Add the coriander and give it a quick stir and then remove from the heat. I don’t want them to cook. Give it a quick grind of pepper.

Peel and stone the avocadoes. These are the world’s most nuisance ingredient. They are impossible to buy ripe and so you need to plan at least 3 days in advance what you’re going to cook. These were destined for guacamole but I’m glad I love him enough to make this instead. Lightly mash them with a fork and squeeze on the lime juice. See if it needs some salt. I think a pinch of cayenne is what it is really crying out for.

Poach the eggs. I’ve bought 6 as I will break at least one of them. They need to be very fresh. Put a splash of vinegar into a pan of rolling water and give it a stir, to create a cyclone. Don’t do more than two at a time. Key is having something suitable to fish them out with. I’ve found that a spaghetti server works very nicely. Drain them well on kitchen paper, and if you’re me, cut off any frilly bits to tidy them up. You do want the yolks still soft though. Work quickly so they don’t get cold.

While the eggs are cooking, do all of the following: Lightly toast the seeded baguettes. These are baguettes because you want a lot of crunchy crust. Though I do think bagels are worth a try one time.

Make some coffee in the cafetiere. I think white cups and white side plates but I’m probably getting over excited here.

Spoon some chunky avocado on to each slice of toasted baguette. Sprinkle on the chorizo.

Finally top each slice with a perfect poached egg. Sprinkle with salt and white pepper. Call the boy down to lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment