Saturday 9 November 2013

Pear Brandy

Oh, I’m looking forward to this, although it will be at its peak next Christmas, rather than this.

1 70cl bottle brandy
750g pears
5tbsp runny honey
1 vanilla pod
5 cardamom pods
A 3 inch cinnamon stick

The boy likes the idea of laying things down for future years as much as I do. I would have used pears from the tree in the garden but we had a really big storm last week and the tree is looking pretty barren. So they are shop bought. We have also bought a 1 litre kilner/mason jar.

A Bach cantata or two on the CD player would work here .I'm thinking number 125, with its haunting countertenor aria. Top and tail the pears, quarter them and cut out the cores. Place a fifth of them in the jar. Add a tbsp of honey. Repeat until all the pears and honey are layered in. Tuck in the vanilla pod. I’ve cut ours into 3 to spread the love a bit. Tuck in the cardamom and cinnamon. Let the Bach do its magic.

Pour in the brandy and make sure everything is covered. We’re using a really cheap supermarket budget brand. I want it to take on the flavours of the honey, pears and spices so there is really no point in using a premium brand.

Give it a shake. Try to forget about it. In a year’s time strain it through muslin. Happy Christmas 2014! Apart from drinking it, the boy thinks a spoonful over a bowl of vanilla ice cream would work. I can’t believe he’s planning what he wants to eat over a year away.That said  I think a shot in a cup of dark coffee on a new year's day would be great. Either way I know I will still want to be listening to the Bach.

No comments:

Post a Comment