Wednesday 25 September 2013

Rifat's Hot Mint & Coriander Chutney

This is another of my friend Rifat’s recipes, again given verbatim. I have been lucky enough to have had this made for me a couple of times and I can guarantee it is good.

Mint and coriander chutney very much suitable for freezing!

Chillies (lots)
Coriander (bunch/es)
Mint (bunch/es)
Half a mug of dried pomegranate seeds – soak in water for 30 minutes
Garlic (the amount is a personal preference thing)
Green mango (depending on how much of the chutney to are making – 1 smallish/medium mango for each 2 bunches of mint and coriander)
3 stalks of spring onion including the green bit do not waste it (for each 2 bunches of mint and coriander)
1 small to medium vine tomato

For this recipe I buy lots and lots of chillies because sometimes the chillies I have bought are just not hot enough so I just keep added more into the blender.

I use equal bunches of mint and coriander (but some people have more mint or coriander).

I freeze the chutney in small bags (I think they are 6 inches) because in bags they take up less room in the freezer (I can shovel them in all the nooks) and 1 portion in a bag is always enough (I hate to waste it as the washing of coriander and mint and the blender is such a chore).  

The absolutely best way to make this is by using a big granite pestle and mortal. If not the blender is fine, although you will still need to use a small pestle and mortal for the dried pomegranate seeds as they get completely ignored in the blender. If you add the garlic with the pomegranate seeds it stop the seeds flying around and out.

Put everything else in the blender. And the rest as discussed.

I can’t remember exactly what it was we discussed but I’m fairly sure that when you’re ready to serve it you bind the herb mix with yoghurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment