Thursday 3 May 2012

Garlicky Hummus


Hummus

I had a wine tasting fundraiser recently, for UNICEF. As well as just having crackers I thought I’d make a batch of hummus to line stomachs. I started the day before as the chickpeas need to soak overnight. This is a Lebanese version of the recipe. With extra garlic.

500g dried chick peas
6-8 tbsp tahini
Juice of 4 lemons
8 cloves of garlic, crushed
Sea salt – I probably used 2 heaped tbsp
8 tbsp olive oil

So on day 1, soak the chickpeas in lots of fresh water and just leave them to slowly double up in size. Check after some hours to make sure they are still covered by water. The boy thinks this would be easier with tinned chickpeas but a) that’s missing the point and b) dried chickpeas are so cheap.

On Day 2, drain the chick peas and add them to the biggest pan you have and cover with fresh water. Don’t salt them, just bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour and a half. Mine actually took 2 hours. You’re looking for them to be quite soft when cooked. Skim off any scum that rises in the early stages of boiling.

The boy complains that they smell when they’re cooking. He does have a point. I feel slightly guilty as I have fobbed him off with corned beef sandwiches while I’m making this. He does love corned beef and white bread and I have stuffed lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers in there but I do still feel bad. He doesn’t seem to mind.

Once cooked, you’ll be exhausted and on your knees – 10.30pm! Blend in a food processor in batches, then add the other ingredients. Taste and adjust. I want mine to be strongly garlicky and lemony, rather than chickpea-y. I’m doing this as 2 servings – one sprinkled with sumac and the other sprinkled with black sesame seeds.

This was served with Turkish flatbreads and was extremely garlicky. Not sure that was a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment