Thursday 17 May 2012

Feta & Grape Salad


I like to make the most of the Greek and Turkish shops in Wood Green. I think we get better yoghurt, Feta cheese and olives than you can buy in supermarkets. I also like salads and think that if I can make them interesting, the boy is more likely to eat them. He loved this one. It’s from The New York Times Cookbook. I guess New York has its own Greek neighbourhoods.

A 3 inch sprig of rosemary
4tbsp olive oil
450gFeta cheese
400g seedless black grapes, halved
Black pepper
3 handfuls torn romaine lettuce leaves
2 handfuls rocket
2tbsp raspberry vinegar

The rosemary comes from the garden. I’m picking it myself, as last time the boy was sent out to pick it, he came back with a handful of lavender. Warm it in the oil and then let it cool.

Crumble the feta in a bowl and toss with the grapes and the scented oil. Season liberally with pepper.

In another bowl toss the lettuce and rocket with the vinegar. Place it on plates and top with the cheese and grape mix.

I’m serving with slices of toasted sourdough bread, spread with cranberry jelly. This was intended to be a starter, followed by soup. We never got around to the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment