Wednesday 10 December 2014

Lebanese Chick Peas with Chard

This is properly a mezze, but it makes a really good side dish. Swiss chard is one of the best things about the colder months.

800g canned chickpeas (probably 2 tins)
3tsp harissa paste
2tbsp oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
8 cherry tomatoes
1 bunch Swiss chard
Juice of 1 lemon
Small handful parsley, chopped

No idea what size of bunch the chard should be, so I’m just going with what I have got. Remove the leaves and shred them. I’m keeping a few of the stems and slicing them very finely, as they will take longer to cook and it seems a shame to waste them.

I really favour the Harissa brand called Le Phare du Cape Bon. The boy told me it translates as The Good Hope Lighthouse. No idea what that has to do with anything. Anyway its packaging is iconic, though I think it needs loosening down with a little olive oil if you’re using it as a condiment.

Onwards! Drain the chick peas and warm them through in the oil with the harissa paste. Add the onions and tomatoes and cook for another few minutes, until the tomatoes start to blister and split. Add the Swiss chard leaves and let them cook for a further 3 minutes until just starting to wilt.

Squeeze in the lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley – ideally flat leaf.

The boy is cooking the steaks, that this will accompany. His cat is wrapping himself around his legs. Good luck kitty! I think a big spoonful of thick set yoghurt would also not go amiss. I’m having a little more harissa for dipping. The boy decidedly isn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment