Wednesday 24 September 2014

Black Pepper & Tamarind Bloody Mary

My quest for interesting tomato juice recipes – and to find a Bloody Mary that I actually like, continues. I found this recipe from Stevie Parle, and as I love tamarind, I had to try it. I made it for the boy, but with the plan of having a sip myself.

300ml fresh tomato juice
80g tamarind pulp
2tsp fish sauce (Nam Pla)
10 coriander leaves, chopped
4 pinches coarsely ground black pepper
6 dashes Tabasco
2 pinches sea salt
70ml Tequila
Ice

I’m not a fan of Nam Pla, but the boy is, so we are going for it. We are using “not from concentrate” tomato juice from the chilled juice section of the supermarket. I don’t usually buy it as it’s weaker than the regular kind, but the Tamarind will counteract that. If you can find the kind without seeds it will save a lot of work!

Mix the tomato juice and tamarind with a muddler (or the handle of a wooden spoon) to make a thin paste. Put this into a cocktail shaker and add the rest of the ingredients. I think the coriander needs to be chopped super fine. I’ve also noticed that whenever TV chefs use a pinch of anything, it’s an absolutely massive pinch, so I have gone for the same approach. 

We’re using the clear (Silver) Tequila, as the recipe doesn’t specify. The boy is rightly suspicious of the brand that has the little plastic sombrero over the cap.

The original recipe suggested pouring Nam Pla into  saucer to dip the rim of the glass in and then dip in more black pepper to give the glass a nice crust. I can’t bring myself to do this, so have used lime juice and black pepper instead.

The boy likes it, I’m not sure. The quest continues……

No comments:

Post a Comment