Sunday 30 September 2012

Lemon & Rosemary Cake


I have to make a lemon cake for a charity fundraiser. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth so I was tempted by this version that has rosemary in it.

4 large eggs
¾ cup sugar
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cups plain flour
2tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 sprigs Rosemary, leaves stripped off and chopped

I’m making a double batch of this so the boy can have one of the cakes. The rosemary is from the garden – I’m picking it myself as the boy often mixes up rosemary and lavender.

Haydn’s Nelson Mass goes on the CD player.

Preheat the oven to 180. Beat the eggs in a large bowl for a minute or until frothy.  I’m using free range organic eggs because there’s no excuse not to. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is thick and pale.

Add the lemon zest and juice and beat again.

Add in the flour, baking powder, chopped rosemary and salt and stir until your arm aches.

Suggest the boy tastes the batter to if the balance of lemon and rosemary is right. He really wants to lick the bowl but thinks it not grown up to ask. This is a way of letting him.

Pour into a loaf tin, rubbed with olive oil. Chop some more rosemary and sprinkle on top for decoration. Bake for 45 minutes.

The boy is very happy with a slice of this with his cup of tea. Because I love him I’m serving a frosting on the side. It’s made with ¾ cup icing sugar, 1tbsp yoghurt and ½ tsp lemon zest

No comments:

Post a Comment