Thursday 8 March 2012

Kashmiri Rogan Josh


I might have been slightly hasty when I said the boy was happy with all these vegetarian meals. He really liked the dhal last night and asked if we can have a ‘proper curry’, by which he means meat. He asked so nicely that I can’t resist. I immediately thought of Rogan Josh and spent a while going through recipe books before choosing this one. Rogan Josh is a Kashmiri dish but I think this version shows how it was refined by the Moghuls. It’s from the legendary Bombay Brasserie.

6 tomatoes, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 tbsp ginger & garlic paste
2 tbsp ground coriander
1 ½ tsp cayenne
2 tsp turmeric
450ml natural yoghurt
900g boneless lamb, cubed
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mace, nutmeg & green cardamom powder (I will explain)
½ tsp saffron, dissolved in 1 tbsp warm milk
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander to garnish

I’ve deliberately got home earlier than him to make a start. This will make more than we can eat but I’m out tomorrow night and he can reheat the rest with some naan bread. I will text him to remind him to buy some naan tomorrow. We’re having rice tonight. As with all curries, it will be better tomorrow so lucky him.

The mace, nutmeg & green cardamom sounds intriguing. Dry roast 100g each of mace and green cardamom pods and 4 whole nutmegs and then grid to powder in a coffee grinder. Keep the rest in a jar for another time. The powder should be slightly oily.

Grind the tomatoes and onions in a blender to make a paste. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the ginger and garlic paste (I’m assuming you’re buying this in a jar). Once you get that amazing garlic smell and can’t resist playing Bhangra music, add the tomato and onion paste. Add the ground coriander, turmeric and cayenne. Stir.

The boy would walk in as you’re shimmying across the floor like a Bollywood heroine! Shoo him out of the kitchen.

Stir in the yoghurt bit by bit, and add the lamb. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally – you may have to add some water, though the lamb will give off some of its own juice.  The end result is a clinging sauce not a gravy, so don’t add too much.

Stir in the garam masala and tomato puree and give it another 10 minutes. Finally stir in the ground ginger, the mace/nutmeg/cardamom mix , the dissolved saffron and salt. Skim off any excess oil if that’s your thing and sprinkle with the fresh coriander. The boy is a happy bunny.

We’re having this with rice. Serve with any Indian pickles or chutneys you have. I like to combine 1 chopped tomato, I chopped onion and 1 small bunch chopped coriander with enough malt vinegar to cover. My Mum used to make this and I love its fresh sharp taste. It doesn’t keep so be greedy!

One day soon I’ll decide on my favourite Jalfrezi recipe………


No comments:

Post a Comment